Will Mickelson and Johnson be enough to jumpstart the LIV tour?

Welcome to the Golf Talk Forum! Forums General Discussion Will Mickelson and Johnson be enough to jumpstart the LIV tour?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    GolfDay
    Keymaster

Will Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson’s commitment to LIV Golf be enough to catapult the controversial tour? Personally, I doubt it. Mickelson and Johnson are popular players, and I have little doubt that their presence alone will draw a crowd. But that crowd will most likely be confined to die-hard Mickelson fans and die-hard Johnson fans. Yes, there are a lot of them, but not enough to advance the tour very far. No matter what anyone says, watching Mickelson and Johnson compete against the likes of Lee Westwood, Kevin Na, Graeme McDowell, and Martin Kaymer in only 8 events in a  year does not compare to watching Rory McIlroy and Justin Thomas compete against Jordan Spieth, Jon Rahm, Brooks Koepka, Collin Morikawa, Patrick Cantlay, Scottie Scheffler, and others week after week. It’s not the same. Some people simply enjoying watching golf for the competition, rather than the names. And people enjoy watching golf every week, the LIV only having 8 events in a season is a bad move in my view. Also, having a field of 132 to 156 players, for which the PGA Tour has, provides opportunity for unknowns to reach the top. LIV’s field of only a select 48 players does not provide that opportunity. The caliber of play matters and the structure for which , and as of right not, the LIV has delivered in that department so far. But, that is only my opinion. What are your thoughts?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Will Mickelson and Johnson be enough to jumpstart the LIV tour?
Your information: