Are the recent additions of big stars to LIV Golf truly a reflection of a superior format? Or is it simply a result of an endless cash stream?

Welcome to the Golf Talk Forum! Forums General Discussion Are the recent additions of big stars to LIV Golf truly a reflection of a superior format? Or is it simply a result of an endless cash stream?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    GolfDay
    Keymaster

In recent months Greg Norman’s LIV Golf circuit has attracted numerous big names in the game of golf. Players who have signed contracts to play for the new tour include stars such as Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Bryson DeChambeau, and Patrick Reed. There are also rumors of even more top name players looking to sign. Norman, as well as the players who have signed, boast of LIV’s superior format and schedule versus the PGA Tour. However, can we truly know whether Norman’s tour is superior based on the merits when his Saudi financiers are throwing endless sums of money at any player interested? We can’t know. The question is, would any of the players who speak about the superiority of LIV’s format, actually leave the PGA Tour if instead of being offered $50 or $100 million, they were offered $5 or $10 million to play? I don’t think a single player would. In my view, until LIV stops offering huge amounts of money for golfers to play on their tour, LIV can never be truly tested as a superior circuit for players. I’m sure Norman can’t exactly be confident of his brilliant format as a reason for players joining LIV while he is offering so much money. That leads to the question of whether Norman cares at all whether he is offering a truly superior product? Or is this simply for his own hubris, to continue to stay relevant in the golfing world, to be the boss so to speak, and control professional golf?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Are the recent additions of big stars to LIV Golf truly a reflection of a superior format? Or is it simply a result of an endless cash stream?
Your information: