What to expect at the 2021U.S. Open?

Welcome to the Golf Talk Forum! Forums PGA Tour What to expect at the 2021U.S. Open?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    GolfDay
    Keymaster

Today is the first day of the 2021 U.S.Open at Torrey Pines, and I think we are going to be in for a wild ride. Phil Mickelson’s legendary victory at the PGA Championship last month will most certainly be a tough act to follow, but if any major can do it, it’s the U.S. Open. Obviously, the players to look at would be the reigning U.S. Open Champion, Bryson DeChambeau. But, there are other players who have a pretty good shot at being in the mix come Sunday. Guys like Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy, Brooks Koepka, Justin Thomas, Hideki Matsuyama and Xander Schauffele to name a few. I think a lot us are hoping to perhaps see a Sunday showdown between rivals Bryson Dechambeau and Brooks Koepka, who’ve been recently exchanging barbs at one anotherĀ  in the past few weeks. Jon Rahm was forced withdraw from the Memorial Tournament two weeks ago after testing positive for COVID-19. At the time, he had a six shot lead going into Sunday, so we know Rahm is playing terrific and could very well find himself in the lead by Saturday’s end. Of course, Dustin Johnson has a solid week at the Palmetto Championship, he could be riding some of that momentum into the U.S. Open. Patrick Cantlay ism playing very well right now, and has some momentum after winning the Memorial Tournament for a second time two weeks ago, he could be a guy to look at. And of course there is Lefty. Normally, he wouldn’t be someone to consider to have a realistic chance at winning the U.S. Open. But since his win at the PGA Championship, he may have more momentum than anyone coming into today. In any case, we can expect tough conditions, high scoring, and a lot of grinding this week, and I’m looking forward to seeing who comes out on top at Torrey.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: What to expect at the 2021U.S. Open?
Your information: