Phil Mickelson considers not returning to Rocket Mortgage Classic after only his first appearance.

Welcome to the Golf Talk Forum! Forums PGA Tour Phil Mickelson considers not returning to Rocket Mortgage Classic after only his first appearance.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    GolfDay
    Keymaster

After making just his first appearance at the Rocket Mortgage Classic this week, Phil Mickelson has announced that he will not be returning in the future. The reason for Mickelson’s announcement concerns an article written by a Detroit based journalist, Robert Snell. In the article, Snell details a two decade old gambling story involved Mickelson being cheated out of a half a million dollars by an alleged Mafia connected bookie named Don DeSeranno. Mickelson was so infuriated by Snell’s piece, which he described as “opportunistic”, that he declared he would not be returning to Detroit after this week. Mickelson’s outrage has received a somewhat mixed response, but the golfing public largely aired on the side of Mickelson. After receiving overwhelming support from Detroit golf fans as well as a petition asking for Phil’s return, Mickelson has since reconsidered his original stance, and may return next year. However, it is still an open question. Was Snell’s article opportunistic and in bad taste? I think it was. But was Mickelson’s response a bit over the top? I think it was too. In any case, the golfing public and Lefty fans in Detroit have unfairly bore the brunt of this controversy. I personally hope Lefty returns next year. He’s a very popular player, and his presence certainly helps the city greatly.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: Phil Mickelson considers not returning to Rocket Mortgage Classic after only his first appearance.
Your information: